Bringing gardeners together for over 80 years!

Welcome to the Greenbelt Community Garden Club (GCGC).  The Community Gardens were established over 80 years ago as part of the original design of the city.  The Greenbelt Garden Club was formed in 1938. In the early years, three hundred allotment gardens were located in five areas on the edge of town. During World War II, 350 people planted victory gardens in Greenbelt. Today, roughly 78 plots remain of varying sizes.  In 2007 the club was renamed the Greenbelt Community Garden Club and is still managed by member volunteers.  Three garden areas remain: Gardenway, Hamilton Place, and Henry’s Hollow.*

Gardening in Greenbelt has always been popular but a renaissance movement has sprouted up in recent years in support of self-sufficiency and eating seasonally to improve health through local, organic farming and sustainable agriculture. GCGC’s mission is to promote gardening in the community. To stimulate, foster and share knowledge of gardening techniques and sustainable practices and to promote a love a gardening among amateurs.

The GCGC oversees the designation and proper stewardship of the garden plots for use by individual citizens and families of Greenbelt.  The plots are for private, not-for-profit use to grow vegetables, fruits, flowers and herbs. 

As gardeners, we are all grateful to the city of Greenbelt and Greenbelt Homes, Inc. (GHI), for providing these plots.  Please comply with the rules of the GCGC to ensure future use. 

* Excerpt from the Historical Landmark Nomination https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NHLS/Text/80004331.pdf